[Mpi3-tools] [MPI3 Fortran] Issues with Fortran bindings for MPI_Pcontrol

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Sun Apr 14 16:28:34 CDT 2013

On 4/14/13 3:40 PM, Schulz, Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am sending this to both the Fortran list and the tools list, since this affects both (sorry if some of you get this twice).
>
> The MPI standard currently has some inconsistencies with respect to how the MPI_Pcontrol call is defined. The prototype in the tools chapter does not have the usual ierr return code (which is an historical artifact from the use of variable arguments up to MPI 2.2). In particular, it is now stated as:
>
> MPI_Pcontrol(level) BIND(C)
>     INTEGER, INTENT(IN) ::  level
>
> MPI_PCONTROL(LEVEL)
>     INTEGER LEVEL
>
> This is, however, in contradiction to the text on page 19:
>
> "All MPI Fortran subroutines have a return code in the last argument. With USE mpi_f08, this last argument is declared as OPTIONAL, except for user-defined callback func- tions (e.g., COMM_COPY_ATTR_FUNCTION) and their predefined callbacks (e.g., MPI_NULL_COPY_FN). A few MPI operations which are functions do not have the return code argument."
>
> MPI_Pcontrol is not a function and hence shouldn't be covered by the last sentence.

A view from someone who has not been involved on either side of the
argument:

The C prototype is

int MPI_Pcontrol(const int level, ...)

which says to me that MPI_Pcontrol is a function that returns a result
value.  Absent indication otherwise, the int results from the C MPI_*
functions are assumed to be error codes.  So, it seems to me that the
Fortran interfaces should have included the IERROR argument, and the
omission was just an oversight.   Alternatively, the documentation for
MPI_Pcontrol should explicitly say that the return value is not an error
code, and has no meaning. In the later case, the Fortran wrapper would
just discard the return value.

Cheers,
Bill