[Mpi3-tools] Standardized MPI_COMM_WORLD rank environment variable?

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 16:31:56 CDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Jeffrey Squyres <jsquyres at cisco.com> wrote:
> Any kind of unique value would allow the tool to have a unique, safe filename.
>
> The MPI (or runtime) is in a good position to provide this unique value because it has global knowledge of the entire MPI job, where the tool does/may not.

Thanks Jeff for starting the discussion!

Not only the Google gperftools would find having this unique value
useful (currently, we plan to use it mainly for the output filename),
there are also other tools that actually use the MPI rank to match the
profiles to the MPI tasks:

Sun Studio Performance Tools' "collect":
http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/documentation/techart/mpi_apps/

Or DTrace - for the user to relate the profiles to the MPI tasks:
http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/dtrace_article.html#howto

Rayson

Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/