[Mpi3-tools] Agenda for next TelCon, Monday 2/21

Marc-André Hermanns m.a.hermanns at grs-sim.de
Mon Feb 21 11:13:38 CST 2011

Hi all,

On 19.02.2011, at 02:30, Martin Schulz wrote:

> - Naming: people wanted us to move into the MPI namespace
> 	- Which prefix should we use?
> 	- How do we distinguish the semantics?

Following the Wikipedia entry to C99 I looked up the
PDF document of the C standard, and there on page 20 on the
bottom (section 5.2.4.1) it states:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/WG14/www/docs/n1256.pdf

"The implementation shall be able to translate and execute at least
one program that contains at least one instance of every one of the
following limits
[…]
- 31 significant initial characters in an external identifier (each
  universal character name specifying a short identifier of 0000FFFF or
  less is considered 6 characters, each universal character name
  specifying a short identifier of 00010000 or more is considered 10
  characters, and each extended source character is considered the same
  number of characters as the corresponding universal character name, if
  any)
…"

Aside from comment in parentheses, which I admit I don't understand,
I think it says that to guarantee compiler support, we have to stick
to the 30/31 character limit already stated in the MPI 2.2 standard,
right?

Cheers,
Marc-Andre

PS: I also checked the draft of C1x with the same results, so I guess
they don't plan to change it.
--
Marc-Andre Hermanns
German Research School for

Tel +49 241 80 99753
Fax +49 241 80 6 99753
Web www.grs-sim.de

Members: Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH | RWTH Aachen University
Registered in the commercial register of the local court of
Düren (Amtsgericht Düren) under registration number HRB 5268
Registered office: Jülich
Executive board: Prof. Marek Behr Ph.D. | Dr. Norbert Drewes