[Mpi3-tools] Changes to the MPI_T*_ document

Martin Schulz schulzm at llnl.gov
Sat Aug 27 20:29:04 CDT 2011

Hi all,

I created a new version of the MPI_T document based on
the feedback from the MPI forum plus some additional
comments. The new draft is at:

https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/attachment/wiki/MPI3Tools/mpit/mpi-report.21.pdf

Please take a look at it and see if any more changes are
necessary. To meet the two week rule, we have until 9/8
to post the document to the MPI forum.

I don't think we need another tools TelCon until then (but
please speak up if you think we do or if there are any
other topics to cover), but I still would like feedback
on the questions that I sent around in the last email -
so far I have only heard from Bronis; additional feedback
would be helpful.

A) Naming: MPI_T or a different name?
==============================

I have changed all names to be MPI_T_<lowercase>, but
I have not made any further name changes. Bronis's vote
was for keeping just the "T" and that would be the easiest and
least disruptive to both the document and the existing
prototype(s). Does anybody have a good idea or a
strong opinion about this?

B) Types: which types to support?
==========================

The new document has the following list:
MPI_INT
MPI_UNSIGNED
MPI_UNSIGNED_LONG
MPI_UNSIGNED_LONG_LONG
MPI_COUNT
MPI_CHAR
MPI_DOUBLE

With the following rationale included in the text:

The \MPI/ tool information interface relies mainly on unsigned
datatypes for integer values since most variables are expected
to represent counters or resource sizes. \const{MPI\_INT} is
provided for additional flexibility and is expected to be used
mainly for control variables.

Providing all basic datatypes, in particular providing all signed
and unsigned variants of integer types, would lead to a larger
number of types, which tools need to interpret. This would
cause unnecessary complexity in the implementation of tools
based on the \MPI/ tool information interface.

C) Signal safety
=============

I liked Bronis's version of the text and included it in the document.
I'll also start a separate email with Brian to get his feedback.

If there are any other pending issues with this document, please
let me know. I really hope we can make the next first reading the
last reading, but for this it would be extremely helpful if more
people would look over the document!

Thanks!

Martin

Martin Schulz, schulzm at llnl.gov, http://people.llnl.gov/schulzm