[Mpi3-tools] MPIT profiling

Marty Itzkowitz marty.itzkowitz at oracle.com
Mon Oct 18 11:23:17 CDT 2010

  On 10/18/10 9:13 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> 2. Marty: It is worthwhile to be able to profile the impact of MPIT itself -- e.g., see if MPIT itself is performing poorly.  I extrapolate this to mean that it can be useful to help quantify the at least part of the MPIT's own overhead (as I typed that sentence, I'm not sure how much of MPIT's overhead will be measurable by simply timing how long its individual function calls...?  I guess there's other metrics that can be measured, too...?).

Statistical clock-profiling could do it without any interface in the
MPIT APIs.
So it is probably not worth putting it in.  It's a trade-off between
observability
and performance and complexity.

Even having argued that it's nice to be able to observe, I'm happy with
not adding the extra complexity.

     Marty