[Mpi3-tools] Fwd: [MPI Forum] #228: MPIR Specification - An Official Companion Document for the MPI Standard

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Oct 11 14:15:51 CDT 2010

On Oct 7, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Supalov, Alexander wrote:

>>> Our definition:
>>> volatile int MPIR_debug_state
>>>
>>> Proposal definition:
>>> int MPIR_debug_state
>>>
>>> This may be material, as the MPIR_debug_state is set by the program and
>>> inspected by the tool. We should probably add VOLATILE to the proposal.
>
> I think you're right, the document needs to be updated. I looked back at the original text document that described the interface, and it has:
>
> extern VOLATILE int MPIR_debug_state;

I just updated the document to make MPIR_debug_state be VOLATILE.  I'm up in a few minutes for the 1st vote here at the Forum in Chicago.

Martin and I talked about this in person: technically, this is a change in the document that was formally read in Stuttgart.  I will ask the Forum if they're comfortable voting on this, or if we reset the clock and call this meeting the really-first-reading (and we have a first vote in December).  Technically, we should do the latter, but it may be a small enough change to eek through.

I'll let you know how it goes.

jsquyres at cisco.com
For corporate legal information go to: