[Mpi3-tools] DRAFT of the MPIR Process Acquisition Interface document

David Lecomber david at allinea.com
Fri May 14 10:34:43 CDT 2010

Hi John,

Thanks for circulating.

I have one query - for the Tool Daemon Launch Extension as described, we
get a binary executed out on the nodes with arguments..  Could we/should
we push for more?

My preference - and I think other other tools would benefit - would be
for having arbitrary files shipped out to compute nodes, as well as
optionally executing these files.

This would allow rapid sending of shared libraries, topology files, etc.
- which could really help scalability in the case where a system vendor
has specific capability for this in their existing tree network.

In the case of a large but ordinary cluster, for example, it would be
preferable not to take shared libs and other daemons or config files
from a shared filesystem, but for the remote nodes to be able to read
them from their own /tmp or equivalent local storage having had them
delivered by the MPI's own daemons.

Of course, you could do all this already by appending to your binary
that file you want to send out with it, but that does feel a bit dirty!

I'll be on the call next week I hope - but thought I'd just raise the
question now, and let folks ponder it first.

Best wishes
David
--
David Lecomber, CTO, Allinea Software
+44 7980 863033

Allinea Software Limited: Registered in England and Wales No: 6871298
The Innovation Centre, Warwick Technology Park, Warwick, CV34 6UW, UK