[Mpi3-tools] draft MPIT hierarchy query function text

Martin Schulz schulzm at llnl.gov
Sun Mar 7 10:43:45 CST 2010

Hi Dave,

On Mar 5, 2010, at 10:20 AM, William Gropp wrote:

> I'm in favor of this approach - the text based interface is most
> useful to end users, not to the tool middleware that is most likely
> to need this functionality.

I agree, the general idea that you have brought up to replace the
string description
with a more explicit set of functions to query is certainly good and I
think we should
go with it.

As for the concrete functions - your proposal basically turns the
existing structure
around and decouples it from the actual performance variables; it
becomes a
separate aspect of the interface and a tool writer would have to query
all of this
separately. I am not sure, yet, what this really means for new tools
and how much
more complicated this would make it. The interface would, however, be
much
cleaner, which IMHO makes up for some extra work that has to be put
into using it.

A few questions/comments (not just for Dave):
- MPI_TAXA is find with me, CLASSIFICATION is probably a bit too long,
and there
was opposition at the Atlanta meeting against using group due the name
clash
with MPI groups.
- Isn't the ALL_SETS redundant? We could just have a global set
(MPI_SETWORLD)
and could use that to iterate over all sets.
- Returning all sets in a query operation might be a bit confusing and
make it
difficult to extract the full hierarchy information. Should we just
include the next
level down in the hierarchy tree? Same for querying up starting at the
variables? For sets this could also be a routine to get the parent
node, which
wouldn't need an iterator.
- General, representing this as a forest of trees and variable can be
a leaf
of any number of trees might be easier to understand than an arbitrary
DAG.
- All sets are identified by character strings, which is the most
natural, but could
also be cumbersome for repeated queries and the representation of the
variable
hierarchy in a tree. It might be easier to represent sets with numbers
or other
identifiers at some sort and at the end just provide one function that
extracts
the name and description that a tool can call on demand when it actually
prints any of the text.
- When I originally thought about this, I wanted to overlay an
additional structure
over the set functionality that indicates an second, independent
neighbor or
before/after relationship. The idea is to allow tools to understand
the order
of events in the MPI implementation, e.g., if you have two timers that
are
used during a receive, this could tell you which one is used before
the  other.
Also, it would allow the interface to express full event chains, as
they were
prescribed in PERUSE, but without demanding them. In the original
string-based
interface, this would have been too complicated, but here we could just
get another function that allows us to query preceding and subsequent
events. Would this be useful?
- For all iterators we need "has changed" functiosns to see if
something has
changed, e.g., by activating new variables.
- Since this is a new and independent functions, should we also open
this uo
to coinfiguration variables?

Martin

> [...]
>>> the uniquely identifying name is sufficient and that anything that
>>> needs to be spelled out more explicitly for humans should go into
>>> the description information.  If anyone disagrees with this, I can
>>> add the pretty names back in.
>>> * I think it also makes sense to move the rewritten \subsubsection
>>> to after the "Query and Handle Functions" \subsubsection.  It is
>>> easier to talk about grouping performance variables once the reader
>>> knows a bit more about what performance variables actually are.
>>>
>>> -Dave
>>>
>>> ------8<------
>>> Performance Variable Taxonomic Information
>>>
>>> MPI implementations can optionally provide information that
>>> describes the relationship of performance variables to each other.
>>> For this, an MPI implementation can define names that represent sets
>>> of variables and then associate each performance variable with zero
>>> or more sets.  Sets may contain zero or more performance variables
>>> and zero or more other sets.  Sets may not contain themselves either
>>> directly or indirectly.  Said another way, these sets and
>>> performance variables form a directed acyclic graph (DAG).  This
>>> information is accessible via several interrogative routines.
>>>
>>> MPIT_TAXA_QUERY_ALL_SETS(iterator, name, namelen)
>>>
>>> INOUT iterator
>>> OUT   name
>>> OUT   namelen
>>>
>>> Iterate over all sets in topological order.  A unique identifying
>>> name for the set is returned in "name" and "namelen" is set to the
>>> number of characters written.  The value of "namelen" cannot be
>>> larger than MPIT_MAX_SET_NAME-1.
>>> ...MORE TEXT HERE...
>>>
>>> MPIT_TAXA_QUERY_VARIABLE_SETS(iterator, varname, name, namelen)
>>>
>>> INOUT iterator
>>> IN    varname
>>> OUT   name
>>> OUT   namelen
>>>
>>> Iterate over all sets that contain the performance variable
>>> identified by "varname".
>>> ...MORE TEXT HERE...
>>>
>>> MPIT_TAXA_QUERY_SET_SETS(iterator, setname, name, namelen)
>>>
>>> INOUT iterator
>>> IN    setname
>>> OUT   name
>>> OUT   namelen
>>>
>>> Iterate over all sets that contained in the set identified by
>>> "setname".
>>> ...MORE TEXT HERE...
>>>
>>> MPIT_TAXA_QUERY_SET_VARIABLES(iterator, setname, name, namelen)
>>>
>>> Iterate over all variables contained in the set identified by
>>> "setname".
>>> ...MORE TEXT HERE...
>>>
>>> MPIT_TAXA_SET_DESCRIBE(name, desc, desclen)
>>>
>>> IN    name
>>> OUT   desc
>>> OUT   desclen
>>>
>>> Retrieve the description for the set identified by "name".
>>> ...MORE TEXT HERE...
>>>
>>> Also, delete the "sets" and "setslen" parameters to
>>> MPIT_PERFORMANCE_INFO.  Delete the paragraphs contained in lines
>>> 7-16 of page 19 ("The argument sets ... setslen must be set to