[Mpi3-tools] Reminder: next tools WG Meeting Monday 7/19 (tomorrow) - topic: MPIR

Marc-André Hermanns m.a.hermanns at grs-sim.de
Mon Jul 19 09:21:34 CDT 2010

Hi all,

as I am quite inexperienced with the implementation and use of debugging interfaces I have been more silent about the MPIR discussion, yet, I wanted to raise some questions. I apologize when the answers might seem obvious.

=======

Page 7/8, Par. 1:
…after it has set MPIR_debug_state to MPIR_DEBUG_SPAWNED and …

Should the variable have an initial state? MPIR_NULL?

=======

Page 8, Par. 3:
…, and avoid defining MPIR_debug_gate in the MPI processes.

What does avoid mean? Is it still ok to do so? If it is ok, why should it be avoided? When it is not ok, why not prohibit it?

=======

Page 11, Par. 3 + 6:
If MPIR_Breakpoint exists the tool should consider this a starter process …
if MPIR_i_am_starter ist not defined ….

why are there two variables/symbols that seem to do the same thing?

=======

Page 18, Par. 10:
…is a symbol of any kind, preferably an int, ….

If it can be any kind, why prefer an int? Why not require it to be an int?

=======

In general:
- Some symbols are evaluated for existence or non-existence, yet others have a state (1 or 0). Why?

Best regards,
Marc-Andre

On 18.07.2010, at 23:27, Martin Schulz wrote:

> Just as a reminder: the next MPI tools WG meeting will be tomorrow morning at 8am PDT,
> 11am EDT, 5pm MSZ. The main item on the agenda is the discussion on the MPIR
> document that John has put together.
>
> The link to the Webex session is on the tools wiki and below:
> https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/j.php?ED=144317932&UID=0&PW=NYjk1YmJhZGEz&RT=MiMxMQ%3D%3D
> Password: tools
>
> The latest version of the MPIR document is attached.
>
> Martin
>
> <MPIR Process Acquisition Interface 2010-06-11.pdf>

Marc-Andre Hermanns
German Research School for
Simulation Sciences GmbH
c/o Laboratory for Parallel Programming
52056 Aachen | Germany

Tel +49 241 80 99753
Fax +49 241 80 6 99753
Web www.grs-sim.de

Members: Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH | RWTH Aachen University
Registered in the commercial register of the local court of
Düren (Amtsgericht Düren) under registration number HRB 5268
Registered office: Jülich
Executive board: Prof. Dr. Heiner Müller-Krumbhaar | Prof. Marek Behr, Ph.D.