[Mpi3-tools] alternative signal handler text

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Sun Feb 21 13:35:14 CST 2010

For a standard, the issue is whether *all* implementations are Unix-
like, and for MPI, there are definitely some that aren't Unix-like,
and there are likely to be more (I don't want to see Unix running on
each of the 10,000,000 nodes of my Exascale system).  Handling this is
what the advice to implementor is for - the Forum can remind
implementors about things that may apply to some but not all
implementations.  We've also taken the position that many of these
issues should be "quality of implementation" rather than mandating
specific behavior.  In this case, an advice to implementors should be
all that is necessary to ensure that an implementation doesn't do
something weird by mistake.

Bill

On Feb 21, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Marty Itzkowitz wrote:

> Aren't most implementations of MPI Unix or Unix-like?  Why can't
> this fact
> be used in writing a definition?

William Gropp
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign