[Mpi3-tools] MPIT chapter review

Marty.Itzkowitz at Sun.COM Marty.Itzkowitz at Sun.COM
Sat Feb 6 13:45:49 CST 2010

[Sorry it's taken me so long; as you might imagine, life at Sun, now a
wholly owned
subsidiary of Oracle, and soon to disappear as an independent company, has
been "interesting."]

I've reviewed it, and I've had two of our MPI folks, and one other tools
person
review it, too.  The aggregated comments are below.

    Marty

 From Marty Itzkowitz:

I dislike the use of the feminine pronouns by default.  Either rewrite
so that neither
    masculine nor feminine pronouns are needed, or always use "he or she",
    "his or her."

p5, line 47.  The meaning does not get more complex, the interpretation
does.

p22, line 7, reads better as "*safely *callable from *asynchronous*
signal handlers to allow
    their use in sampling-based tools."

 From Terry Dontje:
1.  What does MPIT_GET_SETINFO really do?  I guess my problem is it
takes a "set name" but where does one get the set name and how does that
differ from the out parameter "name of the set".  I read the section
preceding the function description and I still just don't get it.

2.  Seems like a lot of functions for the performance accessors.  So to
do the MPI state acquisition you will need to do the following:

a.  Loop on MPIT_PERFORMANCE_QUERY until you find the state performance
variable.
b.  Call MPIT_PERFORMANCE_INFO with the state performance variable name
to get the appropriate info you need (specifically datatype/count).
c.  Call MPIT_PERFORMANCE_GETHANDLE on the state performance variable name.
d.  Call MPIT_PERFORMANCE_START on the state performance handle to
activate the use of the state code.
e.  Periodically call MPIT_PERFORMANCE_READ using the state performance
handle while the MPI code is running
f.  Once the MPI code finishes call MPIT_PERFORMANCE_FREEHANDLE

I guess it isn't that bad we're just adding 4 additional calls which are
necessary in order to have more than one performance variable.  Just
seems like a lot on paper (in the spec).

 From Eugene Loh:

Have the MPIT interfaces been prototyped by anyone?  [Yukon Maruyama
asked the
same question.  None of us feels confident we can understand the issues
before we see
a prototype.]

Since the returned information is so implementation-dependent, it's hard
for me to imagine that there could be (m)any MPIT-based tools that make
sense for multiple MPI implementations.  Meanwhile, if a tool makes
sense for only one MPI implementation, it should be part of the
implementation itself.  In general, I'm still scratching my head over
this MPIT stuff.

And some nits:
 page 6, line 47:

   All identifier covered by this interface carry
->
   All identifiers covered by this interface carry

page 7, line 1:

   all conventions and principle governing
->
   all conventions and principles governing

page 7, line 33:

   must contain exactly one call to the MPIT initialization routine
->
   must execute exactly one call to the MPIT initialization routine

page 8, lines 17 and 26:

   before MPIT_INIT and after MPIT_FINALIZE
->
   before MPIT_INIT or after MPIT_FINALIZE

page 12, line 42:  The table of legal "scope" values seems to be
misplaced to the top of page 13.

page 12, line 44:

   it is not a guarantee that can be changed.
Is there a typo in that line?
[Marty]  I'm not quite sure what this line is saying.  Does it mean that
even if the
scope says that a variable is changeable, the call to change it is not
guaranteed to
succeed?  If that's so, what can the tool implementor rely on?