[Mpi3-tools] MPI3 tools WG Mission Statement

Marc-Andre Hermanns m.a.hermanns at fz-juelich.de
Wed Sep 2 16:59:16 CDT 2009

sound great.

Marc-Andre

Martin Schulz wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:18 PM, Ashley Pittman wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 21:46 +0300, Marc-Andre Hermanns wrote:
>>> Does 'correctness' tools include debuggers? It immediately triggered
>>> things like "Marmot" and not directly Totalview, DDT, etc., as I
>>> would
>>> usually not refer to a debugger as a correctness checker (but then,
>>> I am
>>> not a native speaker).
>> That was my first thought when I read the text as well, there are a
>> multitude of tools out there and no doubt there will me more which are
>> not even thought of yet during the lifetime of the interfaces we are
>> specifying.
>
> The statement was supposed to be as inclusive as possible. If there
> is a concern that this is not the case, we can also go up a level and
> just talk about "development tools".
>
>>> To make that a little clearer I would propose the following change:
>>>
>>> The goal of this working group is to define interfaces that can be
>>> used
>>> by third party tools to obtain internal information about the MPI
>>> library, as well as the system environment an MPI application runs
>>> in.
>>> These tools include performance analysis tools, correctness
>>> checkers and
>>> debuggers.
>> Is "third party" or "external" better here?  Saying something is
>> "third
>> party" to a specification seems a little unusual to me, it would be
>> third party to the vendor who implements the spec whereas external
>> could
>> equally well apply to the forum, specification or vendor.
>
> Sorry, I missed that in the original email - I don't think we should
> talk only
> about 3rd party tools. In particular, the performance interface will be
> first party.
>
> Combining these two issues, what about the following intro text:
>
> The goal of this working group is define interfaces that can be used by
> software development tools (including, but not limited to, performance
> measurements tools, debuggers, and correctness checkers) to gain
> information about internals of the MPI library, interactions between an
> application and the MPI library, as well as the system environment an
> MPI application runs in. This is intended as an extension to the
> existing
> and widely used PMPI interface. These efforts will help in providing
> reliable and portable interfaces for MPI tools with new functionality
> currently not covered by the MPI standard.
>
> Martin
>

>> Ashley,
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ashley Pittman, Bath, UK.
>>
>> Padb - A parallel job inspection tool for cluster computing
>> http://*padb.pittman.org.uk

> Martin Schulz, schulzm at llnl.gov, http://people.llnl.gov/schulzm
> [...]

Marc-Andre Hermanns
Juelich Supercomputing Centre
Institute for Advanced Simulation
Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
D-52425 Juelich
Germany

Phone : +49-2461-61-2054
Fax   : +49-2461-61-6656
eMail : m.a.hermanns at fz-juelich.de
WWW   : http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/

JSC is the coordinator of the
John von Neumann Institute for Computing
and member of the
Gauss Centre for Supercomputing

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
                    Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender),
                    Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
                    Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt