[Mpi3-tools] Meeting Notes from 5/11, next meetings

Marty Itzkowitz marty.itzkowitz at sun.com
Wed May 27 08:19:50 CDT 2009

On 5/27/09 12:42 AM, Supalov, Alexander wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I added my comments to the proposal for lack of feedback per email. Please consider at F2F. Slight correction to item 5:
>
> Reads "Likewise, the MPI-stall can probably be fairly well statistically approximated by mapping PC to the progress engine routines and its dependants."
>
> Should read "Likewise, the MPI-stall can probably be fairly well statistically approximated by mapping PC to the progress engine routines and its dependants, except memcpy and equivalents, and wire access routines".

Yes, that's true, but it implies that the tools would know a lot of
detail about the MPI implementation.
We wanted to avoid that, since every MPI implementation (and the Sun
profiling tools
support seven different versions) is different.

In the Sun MPI profiler we also (by default, although it can be changed)
suppress all call frames
below the first user call into MPI, to avoid overwhelming the user with
details that he or she
can do nothing about.  Doing so removed more than half the functions
from the function
list data for a run.

    Marty