[Mpi3-tools] Meeting Notes from 5/11, next meetings

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at intel.com
Tue May 12 08:41:34 CDT 2009

Hi,

I missed this meeting due to a conflict with another one, sorry. How can one comment on the proposals offline?

Briefly on the MPI state proposal:

1. The implementation impact and the associated runtime overheads seem to be rather high.
2. The syntax of the proposed interface is OpenMPI specific.
3. The proposed interface discovery method may not work on all platforms/linkage models.
4. The comparison to the API tracing is skewed in favor of sampling. If one can sample one representative process, one can just as well trace one representative process at comparable or lower overheads. Message matching is not required in this case anyway.
5. Finally, and most importantly, one may be able to get comparable information thru sampling without changing the MPI implementation. For example, the inside-MPI/outside-MPI data can be deduced from the program counter mapping to the program address space occupied by the MPI library and its dependants. Likewise, the MPI-stall can probably be fairly well statistically approximated by mapping PC to the progress engine routines and its dependants. They will be implementation specific, but the set of pertinent address ranges should be possible to specify in any given case. Any existing sampler should help here.

Best regards.

Alexander