[Mpi3-tools] lightweight event log

Marc-Andre Hermanns m.a.hermanns at fz-juelich.de
Fri Jul 3 02:30:20 CDT 2009

Hi Martin,

> Note, though, that you (as a tool writer) can always combine this
> logging interface with a PMPI logger and can grab any cleanly defined
> logging information from there as well.

Understood. What is still unclear to me, however, is how to incorporate
the log information at runtime. Usually, I enter the wrapper create a
timestamped enter-record, do whatever I want/need to do, call the PMPI
call and create a timestamped exit-record. Now, in between I get another
timestamped buffer that can only be interpreted later on? Then I could
also just save the 'blob' with my trace and interpret the contents later on.

I can envision recording timespans with this to identify where the
communication stalled or was making progress. In relation to the same
data on other processes, this might become handy in reasoning about the
communication pattern used.

>>> 2) it is lightweight for two reasons:
>>> (1) the data logged may be as small and simple as the
>>> implementation chooses and (2) the data may be logged in an
>>> internal, time and space efficient format.  A separate set of
>>> routines are provided to interpret the logged data.  For example,
>>> the timestamps may be stored in an internal format (such as the
>>> bits from a clock register) and converted to seconds only when
>>> the user evaluates the logged data.

>> Combining your answers to point 1 and 2, I envision to
>> pre-construct memory-layouts (like or even with MPI datatypes) to
>> the relevant information, so that a tool can basically first tell
>> the implementation what it want to be logged, then define handles
>> for the data layout, and
>
> I am not sure if it's worth having the user pick what should be
> recorded and what not, since this will be very limited anyway.

The user in this case is not necessarily the end-user but a tool. As you
said above, a tool might want to combine these logs with the information
gathered in a wrapper. The tool then might have an interest in defining
a-priori what it wants to gather, to minimize overhead. However, you
might be right that this flexibility might bear more overhead than a
fixed set of predefined sets of logging variables.

Do I understand it correctly that the internal data should be converted
on reading the buffer, or is a post-mortem interface possibly the better
choice? This way any conversion can be delayed until we are no longer in
measurement.

Best regards,
Marc-Andre
--
Marc-Andre Hermanns
Juelich Supercomputing Centre

Phone : +49-2461-61-2054
Fax   : +49-2461-61-6656
eMail : m.a.hermanns at fz-juelich.de
WWW   : http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/

JSC is the coordinator of the
John von Neumann Institute for Computing
and member of the
Gauss Centre for Supercomputing

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
                    Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender),
                    Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
                    Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt