[Mpi3-tools] lightweight event log

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 1 13:08:55 CDT 2009

Hi Marc-Andre,

The idea is that the implementation may be instrumented with the
ability to record timestamped events.  Like the "variable" interface,
the idea here is to provide a way to expose whatever the
implementation is prepared to make available, such as information that
the developers and tuners of that implementation have found valuable.
So in answer to your questoins:

1) what will be logged? Probably timestamps, some indication of
location, and some context (like message length).  I would not expect
all routine parameters to be logged, though an implementation could
choose to do thiat

2) it is lightweight for two reasons: (1) the data logged may be as
small and simple as the implementation chooses and (2) the data may be
logged in an internal, time and space efficient format.  A separate
set of routines are provided to interpret the logged data.  For
example, the timestamps may be stored in an internal format (such as
the bits from a clock register) and converted to seconds only when the
user evaluates the logged data.

3) A performance tool can examine the log files but (as part of the
light-weight part) there is no option to invoke a method or routine at
every point a log record could be created.

"Users" here means users with some degree of sophistication.
Basically, if you can use PAPI and really understand what the various
counters mean, then you should be able to use this interface.

Bill

On Jun 29, 2009, at 7:42 AM, Marc-Andre Hermanns wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> I am interested in how this logging facility is meant. Do you have a
> more detailed description of it somewhere?
>
> - What do you anticipate to be logged (despite of timestamps)?
> - What will make it lightweight?
> - Is there any way that a performance tool might hook into?
>
> "[...] Users can then read and evaluate this event log at a later
> time.
> [...]"
>
> Who are these users? Application developers or tool developers?
>
> Best regards,
> Marc-Andre
>
> Martin Schulz wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As discussed during the last meeting, our next MPI 3 tools WG TelCon
>> is on 6/29
>> at the usual time (8am PDT, 11am EDT, 5pm MSZ). The dial-in numbers
>> are as
>> usual:
>>
>>     * Toll Free Dial In Number for Offsite Participants: 866-914-3976
>>     * International Access/Caller Paid Dial In Number: 925-424-8105
>>     * Dial In Number for LLNL Onsite Participants: 4-8105
>>     * Access Security Code: 860609 #
>>
>> So far, the agenda is to talk about a proposal for a general
>> performance information
>> interface. More information on this proposal is at:
>>
>> https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/wiki/MPI3Tools/pimpi
>>
>> If anybody wants to bring up another agenda item, please let me know.
>>
>> Martin

>> Martin Schulz, schulzm at llnl.gov, http:// people.llnl.gov/schulz6
>> CASC @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, USA

> Marc-Andre Hermanns
> Juelich Supercomputing Centre
> Institute for Advanced Simulation
> Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
> D-52425 Juelich
> Germany
>
> Phone : +49-2461-61-2054
> Fax   : +49-2461-61-6656
> eMail : m.a.hermanns at fz-juelich.de
> WWW   : http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/
>
> JSC is the coordinator of the
> John von Neumann Institute for Computing
> and member of the
> Gauss Centre for Supercomputing
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
> Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
> Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender),
>                    Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender),
>                    Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
>                    Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt
> <smime.p7s><ATT00001.txt>

William Gropp
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign