[Mpi3-tools] Meeting Minutes / Hot Button Issues / Next Meeting

John DelSignore jdelsign at totalviewtech.com
Wed Aug 12 14:09:34 CDT 2009

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2009, at 7:49 PM, Martin Schulz wrote:
>
>> - Are there existing schemes (from CORBA/DCOM or debuggers in general) on
>>     how to represent names for types and enum members?
>>

> It strikes me that TVT/Allinea might have experience in this area
> (general name/type/value registration).

Sorry, I couldn't attend the concall, so I'm not sure I follow 100% what you are trying to accomplish.

Representing a type is not too complicated, but that depends on the language (C, C++, Fortran, etc) and the kind of type (e.g., integer, float, complex, aggregate, array, pointer, reference, etc.). Generally, debug information schemes like STABS and DWARF (which are commonly used on most Unix systems), allow the compiler and language to name the type, and provide the properties of the type. For example, "int" in C may be the same kind of type as "INTEGER*4" in Fortran: e.g., a 4-byte signed integer.

I'll need more context before I can recommend a scheme.

Cheers, John D.