[mpiwg-sessions] [EXTERNAL] RE: MPI_Session_init semantics question/poll

Martin Schulz schulzm at in.tum.de
Wed Jan 4 16:42:46 CST 2023

Hi Dan,

I fully agree with you on the difference between MPI and PVM and the need to keep things constant from the user’s perspective. They should not be impacted by this and hence also the agreement that none of this can be non-local (as this will impact the user).

However, at some point the underlying runtime will have to come to a consensus and that may come after a user would expect it relative to a local procedure call. This is not likely or probably not even possible with the current static scheme and implementation, but it will likely happen when we add more dynamic behavior.

An example could be newly spawned processes  and when they are ready and have established all their individual process set memberships. This could be, of course, pushed off to the user who would need to ensure the right timing, but it may also be better to give the runtime some leeway – again, not in the sense of non-local, but in the sense of weak progress.

This was actually my understanding of weak progress anyway – that any MPI routine could delay return for weak progress, but he hardened that only recently to operations only. For the current set of MPI routines that actually does not make a difference in execution, but here we could – by accident – add a limiter for future implementations and this is what I would like to avoid by opening up the chance for these routines to participate in progress.

Martin

Member of the Board of Directors at the Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (LRZ)

Email: schulzm at in.tum.de