[mpiwg-sessions] MPI_Session_init semantics question/poll

Pritchard Jr., Howard howardp at lanl.gov
Wed Jan 4 12:32:07 CST 2023

Hi All,

First, Happy New Year!

I’ve got a question about the semantics of MPI_Session_init.  In particular, I’d be interested in knowing  people’s opinion on whether this function is nonlocal or local.
We don’t have any text in the current version of the standard that states whether or not MPI_Session_init is a nonlocal operation.

I’m considering options for handling this issue:  https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/issues/11166 .  It turns out that the way to properly resolve this issue depends on whether or not MPI_Session_init has local or nonlocal semantics.

I had been working under the assumption that we had intended session initialization to be a local function, but considering how to resolve issue 11166 made me begin to question this assumption.

Thanks for any ideas,

Howard

—

[signature_61897647]

Howard Pritchard
Research Scientist
HPC-ENV

Los Alamos National Laboratory
howardp at lanl.gov

[signature_1293224934]<https://www.instagram.com/losalamosnatlab/>[signature_2498822630]<https://twitter.com/LosAlamosNatLab>[signature_1283032776]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/los-alamos-national-laboratory/>[signature_3959178607]<https://www.facebook.com/LosAlamosNationalLab/>