[mpiwg-sessions] PMIx allocate resources request

Dan Holmes danholmes at chi.scot
Tue Sep 20 14:25:11 CDT 2022

Hi all,

The choices Ralph outlines fit with how cancellation of point-to-point messages work in MPI. There’s a moment in time (implementation specific and invisible to the user) when it becomes too late to cancel the message operation. MPI mandates that either the cancellation succeeds or the message operation succeeds but not both and not neither. As long as exactly one of the two processes A and B gets PMIX_SUCCESS and the other gets an error, then it’ll work fine.

MPI has deprecated cancellation of send operations because it was too hard to implement given the existence of eager send protocols and the completion semantics of MPI, which is always “I’ve done my part”. Both the allocation request and the cancellation request require remote action and rely on a remote state change so they look more like receiving in MPI than sending. So there should be no implementation concerns.

MPI programs have no way for process A to “tell process B about” an operation request handle returned to process A. Copying the bytes doesn’t work because the value is meaningless to any other process. What is the scope for meaningfulness of PMIX handles/IDs? What needs to be shared for this transfer to make sense? Same process, same server, same host, same scheduler? Does that scope translate into a usable MPI semantic?

Cheers,
Dan.

Sent from my iPhone