[mpiwg-sessions] FW: MPI_Intercomm_from_group folow-up

Pritchard Jr., Howard howardp at lanl.gov
Wed Jan 9 12:14:25 CST 2019

--
Howard Pritchard
B Schedule
HPC-ENV
Office 9, 2nd floor Research Park
TA-03, Building 4200, Room 203
Los Alamos National Laboratory

From: "Tony, Skelljum" <Tony-Skjellum at utc.edu<mailto:Tony-Skjellum at utc.edu>>
Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:47 AM
To: Howard Pritchard <howardp at lanl.gov<mailto:howardp at lanl.gov>>
Cc: MPI Sessions working group <mpiwg-sessions at lists.mpi-forum.org<mailto:mpiwg-sessions at lists.mpi-forum.org>>
Subject: Re: MPI_Intercomm_from_group folow-up

Howard, OK

1) What happens when non-group members call the intercomm function

2) What happens when not-all group members call the intercomm function

--> Dan convinced me that this is disallowed by the semantics as written

--> I want to explore weakening those semantics to see where that leads.

My further thought is we should explore

  *   Arms-length versions of these functions where it is intentionally allowed for non-members to call functions and not all members to call functions--for FT reasons, maybe in cases where we just need pt2pt communication
  *   When we introduce topology to groups vs. comms, intercomms with topology of groups on each side also pose an interesting new graph-to-graph connectivity idea that we might exploit for scalability and maybe for FT

Thanks,
Tony

Anthony Skjellum, PhD

Professor of Computer Science and Chair of Excellence

Director, SimCenter

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC)

tony-skjellum at utc.edu<mailto:tony-skjellum at utc.edu>  [or skjellum at gmail.com<mailto:skjellum at gmail.com>]