[mpiwg-sessions] question about section 8.3 and MPI_COMM_SELF

Aurelien Bouteiller bouteill at icl.utk.edu
Tue Aug 21 08:41:02 CDT 2018

Howard,

A similar issue has been discussed during the last virtual meeting about what happens to errors in MPI_INIT (in which it is not guaranteed that MPI_COMM_SELF) is completely initialized yet, and error handlers had no chance to be set by users yet).

One of the feedback of the call is that in such cases, returning an error code is a desired outcome. That would particularly apply to session_init.

For the rest of the session operations, it could be beneficial to be able to set explicitly (i.e. with a session api call) what is the default/fallback error handler for when the MPI_COMM_SELF object has not been created, and the rules for precedence between these mechanisms when both are in play. I do not remember the group discussing these issues in much more details.

Best,
Aurelien