[mpiwg-rma] Bugs in RMA in current MPI standard - Re: Summary of MPI RMA WG meeting on Sept 21, 2018

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Sun Sep 23 05:25:03 CDT 2018

Dear Bill,

1. MPI-3.1 after MPI_Win_UNLOCK_ALL, page 448 lines 1-4 read

    Implementors may restrict the use of RMA communication that
    is synchronized by lock calls to windows in memory allocated
    by MPI_ALLOC_MEM (Section 8.2), MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE (Section 11.2.2),
    or attached with MPI_WIN_ATTACH (Section 11.2.4).
    Locks can be used portably only in such memory.

   but should read

    Implementors may restrict the use of RMA communication that
    is synchronized by lock calls to windows in memory allocated
    by MPI_ALLOC_MEM (Section 8.2), MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE (Section 11.2.2),
      MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE_SHARED (Section 11.2.3),
    or attached with MPI_WIN_ATTACH (Section 11.2.4).
    Locks can be used portably only in such memory.

2. In MPI-3.1 Section 11.5.5 Assertions, the wording of data
   transfer assertions does not fit to shared memory windows.
   I exxpect the fact is clear because the window portions
   of process rank a can be written  or read by all process
   unsing direct language assignments or expressions, resprectively,
   instead of only using RMA calls and direct accesses only to
   the own window Portion.

   Therefore, I would add at the end of the following items
    - MPI_WIN_POST: MPI_MODE_NOSTORE and MPI_MODE_NOPUT
    - MPI_WIN_FENCE: at all four assertions
   the following sentence:

     This assertion does not apply and is therefore ignored
     in the case of a window created with MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE_SHARED.

Best regards
Rolf