[mpiwg-rma] Single RMA synchronization for several window handles

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 11 09:22:52 CDT 2014

I’d like to explore the use of a collective allocator and attach/detach within the dynamic window rather than yet another window creation routine, especially one that didn’t involve non-disjoint collections of processes.  One of the hallmarks of the RMA approach is to separate actions that are tied together in other communication models, such as two-sided.  The route to minimum latency that you are proposing involves eliminating function calls, which will inevitably take us back to collections of routines that attempt to match users’ needs but at the cost of generality.

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Thomas M. Siebel Chair in Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign