[mpiwg-rma] Short question on the ccNUMA memory reality

Dave Goodell (dgoodell) dgoodell at cisco.com
Tue Aug 5 13:01:56 CDT 2014

On Aug 5, 2014, at 12:37 PM, Rolf Rabenseifner <rabenseifner at hlrs.de> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> thank you for this helpful answer.
>
> My question was related to
>
>> The sentence p436:45-46
>> "The order in which data is written is not
>> specified unless further synchronization is used."
>
> Your citation helps, because it tells the usual expectation:
>> 1. Each CPU will always perceive its own memory accesses as occurring
>> in program order.
> But in the MPI Standard nothing should be expected as usual.

Right, since the MPI Standard is at least one more level removed from the architecture.  The behavior of an MPI program is also dependent on the behavior of the C or Fortran programming language implementation, which isn't addressed at all by the McKenney model.

I think Bronis made an important, valid point earlier:
> Simply put, shared memory programming without compiler
> assistance is not something ordinary programmers should do.

> The text p436:43-48 may be modified into
> Advice to users.
> If accesses in the RMA unified model are not synchronized (with
> locks or flushes, see Section 11.5.3), load and store operations might observe changes
> to the memory while they are in progress. The order in which data is written is not
> specified unless further synchronization is used. This might lead to inconsistent views
> on memory and programs that assume that a transfer is complete by only checking
> parts of the message are erroneous.
> NEW: The only consistent view is that each process will always
> perceive its own memory accesses as occurring in program order.
> (End of advice to users.)
>
> But one can argue that this is already expected by everyone.
> In my opinion, it is better to expect on MPI shared Memory
> windows only semantics that is written black on White
> in the MPI Standard.

I'll defer to the more active members of the RMA working group on this proposed modification.  In general, I'm really not fond of the entire MPI RMA shared memory feature.  I think it is something that should have been left to a library outside of MPI, and that it's impossible to clearly specify shared memory programming behavior in the MPI Forum's vernacular.

-Dave