[mpiwg-rma] [EXTERNAL] ambiguity in MPI_WIN_FLUSH_LOCAL and completion of bidirectional operations

Barrett, Brian W bwbarre at sandia.gov
Mon Oct 21 12:12:41 CDT 2013

On 10/17/13 12:09 PM, "Jeff Hammond" <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:

>From Page 450 (MPI_WIN_FLUSH_LOCAL):
>
>"Locally completes at the origin all outstanding RMA operations
>initiated by the calling process to the target process specified by
>rank on the specified window. For example, after this routine
>completes, the user may reuse any buffers provided to put, get, or
>accumulate operations."
>
>The list of operations includes only those present from MPI-2.  This
>leads to ambiguity.  Because all MPI-2 functions were unidirectional,
>the reader is required to assume that the implication that any (hence,
>all) buffers can be reused implies round-trip i.e. remote completion
>of bidirectional operations like MPI_GET_ACCUMULATE,
>MPI_COMPARE_AND_SWAP and MPI_FETCH_AND_OP.
>
>On the other hand, if we meant to say that MPI_WIN_FLUSH_LOCAL only
>implies the reuse of the origin buffer and that MPI_WIN_FLUSH is
>required for (re)use of the result buffer, then that must be specified
>explicitly since it is not obvious and possible contradictory to the
>text that is currently present.
>
>It might be prudent to take advantage of this ambiguity as an
>opportunity to introduce the latter semantics since I can imagine
>cases where it is beneficial to separate outbound (i.e. local) and
>inbound (i.e. round-trip i.e. remote) completion of bidirectional
>operations.
>
>All of my use cases block on round-trip completion but I prefer to
>maximize flexibility of RMA synchronization semantics, which argues
>for the second of the two definitions noted above.

I guess I don't see this as ambiguous; the operation completed and both
the origin and result buffer can be modified / read.  I think the
semantics are clear enough that redefining them as you suggest would be a
poor option at this point.  Also, as end-to-end reliability becomes more
prevalent, the difference between local and remote completion will slowly
trend to zero, so it's probably not worth over-optimizing that case.

Brian

--
  Brian W. Barrett
  Scalable System Software Group