[mpiwg-rma] schedule telecon

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 16 13:28:39 CST 2013

Sorry to keep adding more items, but one more item that needs discussion is the statement in the MPI-3 standard that could potentially disallow loads and PUTs to nonoverlapping locations in SEPARATE windows.  Specifically, see #3 on page 455.

“A put or accumulate must not access a target window once a load/store update or a put or accumulate update to another (overlapping) target window has started on a location in the target window, until the update becomes visible in the public copy of the window."

The first line should either say “load/store access” or “store updates”.  “load/store updates” doesn’t make sense.

Now which of the two it is, is unclear.  Is load + PUTs valid?  This will be fine for hardware managed caches (even noncoherent ones), but not for software managed caches.

One way to decouple this issue is to add more memory models — one that allows this and another that disallows this.  IMO, there should be 4 different memory models that cover all cases:

1. MPI_WIN_SUCKY_MEMORY — for software managed cache type of systems.  Even load + PUTs to nonoverlapping memory regions is not valid.

2. MPI_WIN_SEPARATE — current SEPARATE memory model, but we allow load + PUTs.  This will work as long as the cache is hardware managed.

3. MPI_WIN_UNIFIED — this is what we decided on for our UNIFIED model.  WIN_SYNC is required for overlapping memory regions.  Windows are not always and immediately unified.  They’ll eventually become unified without MPI calls.

4. MPI_WIN_SUPERUNIFIED — no WIN_SYNC required.  Application can assume that the windows are truly unified.  This works on x86 type of architectures.

Of course, all this will be heavily debated.  I’m just queuing up the discussion item.  :-)

  — Pavan

Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji