[Mpi3-rma] [EXTERNAL] Re: request-based ops

Barrett, Brian W bwbarre at sandia.gov
Mon Jun 17 09:44:21 CDT 2013

First, I apologize for reply on top; outlook webmail sucks.

I think I agree with Jeff, option #2 is icky.

I think I also agree with Jim that my performance concerns could be overstated, as one could make iflush be a flush and return a completed request (to be test/waited on later).  There's no locking concerns, as you have to have the lock in order to call flush (in my implementation, anyway).  But it would limit other implementations which queued rma ops, and that would be unfortunate.

Since Pavan's on a make everything non-blocking kick, perhaps it's instructive to think about the ifence or iunlock (which I don't like, but I think is useful in this conversation).  In both, I think it's a relatively clean semantic to not allow communication operations between the operation and the test/wait, similar to how we wouldn't allow communication from another thread during fence / unlock, as the access epoch closes when the synchronization call starts.  In that case, why would we put different semantics in for flush?

Or, another way of thinking about it is that for all non-blocking communication operations, we don't allow the user to modify state between the non-blocking operation and the test/wait.  In most cases, the state is the user buffer, but in this case, the state is the operation state.  So again, I think there's good precedent for the easy to define, easy to understand rule that you can't start new communication operations between the iflush and the test/wait on that window, just like you couldn't modify the user buffer for isend/ibcast/etc.

Brian

--
  Brian W. Barrett
  Scalable System Software Group