[Mpi3-rma] [EXTERNAL] Re: Available size and number of shared memory windows with MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE_SHARED

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Tue Jun 4 11:13:56 CDT 2013

Jeff, Brian, Jed, and all,

I'm currently preparing slides for our ISC13 tutorial
on SMP parallel programming with MPI and OpenMP.

We'll present the new MPI shared memory interface as
an alternative to OpenMP, i.e., MPI+MPI instead of MPI+OpenMP.

We cite
Torsten Hoefler, James Dinan, Darius Buntinas, Pavan Balaji, Brian Barrett,
Ron Brightwell, William Gropp, Vivek Kale, Rajeev Thakur:
MPI + MPI: a new hybrid approach to parallel programming with MPI plus shared memory.
http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2Fs00607-013-0324-2.pdf

But I also want to mention restrictions.
As I've learned from you both, I would write:

--------------
Caution:
 On some systems
 (e.g., when MPI shared memory support is based on POSIX shared memory)
  - the number of shared memory windows, and
  - the total size of shared memory windows
 may be limited.
 Some OS systems may provide Options, e.g.,
  - at job launch, or
  - MPI process start,
 to enlarge restricting defaults.
---------------

Would you modify this text, or do you have additional remarks?

> I would say that the standard is not the right place to document this
> sort of thing, but hopefully vendors and computing facilities will
> document it prominently because it's an essential consideration for
> MPI+MPI. It would be useful if someone would set up a resource
> documenting the hoops one has to jump through on all major platforms.

That would be helpful.
I would like to include and cite it in our SC13 tutorial in November.
For ISC13 now, it may be to short time to get the needed Details.

> > In principle, to stay within one programming model is attractive.
> > Therefore, I want to learn what are the limits of
> > MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE_SHARED.
>
> As Jeff says, it's more about the operating system. The MPI standard
> does not specify whether environment steps will be necessary in order
> to use MPI_Win_allocate_shared.

Yes, this is not a discussion on the MPI Standard.
It is a discussion on the real implementations and the
implications for users who want to use these new Features.

Best regards and many thanks to your helpful answers so far
Rolf