[Mpi3-rma] MPI-3 UNIFIED model clarification

Underwood, Keith D keith.d.underwood at intel.com
Mon Jul 29 22:18:54 CDT 2013

So, to clarify, we think that the architecture is going to hoist a load across the MPI_Recv?  And, if an architecture has a risk of that, we think that a memory barrier is a high overhead operation to add to an MPI_Recv?

Realistically speaking, on a coherent architecture, there are two MPI_Recv operations:

1) The shared memory version - aka the one that requires a memory barrier anyway
2) The one using PCIExpress.  The ordering model on PCIExpress (if used right) in combination with a correct Flush on P0 is going to make sure the data for the receive is delivered after the data for the MPI_Recv.  And, um, technically, if loads can be hoisted across the MPI_Recv, then the MPI_Recv semantics are incorrect and you have to have a memory barrier in MPI_Recv.

I am pretty sure we are chasing a non-issue.

Keith