[Mpi3-rma] Fwd: [Mpi-forum] MPI 3.0 overview

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Sat Sep 15 15:57:15 CDT 2012

Though in *FIVE* years of asking for PGAS codes that we could run on Blue Waters, I've receive *ZERO* codes, and only one indirect, whose author declined to make his code available.  (And others have had similar experiences.) While PGAS interoperability could be important, I see no evidence that people are migrating away from MPI to PGAS.  If there is any quantifiable evidence, I'd like to see it.

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

On Sep 15, 2012, at 5:09 AM, Jeff Hammond wrote:

> (I can only assume that Bill's reply is in response to Maik's email.)
>
> I can prepare the slide on PGAS/MPI interoperability as well, in
> consultation with Jim and Pavan.  We've basically got all the material
> for this already, at least from the RMA perspective.  If Maik is
> referring to Marc's proposal on UPC-MPI interop. at initialization,
> then someone else will have to take that.  I didn't follow that effort
> closely enough.
>
> Sorry for not sending my RMA Request slide yet.  I'll have everything
> done on Monday.
>
> Best,
>
> Jeff
>
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 3:48 AM, William Gropp <wgropp at illinois.edu> wrote:
>> I've received some slides (thanks!) but no offers to prepare the slides.  If
>> I don't hear from anyone by the time I arrive in Chicago (around 2pm
>> Saturday), I'll put some together to send Rich.
>>
>> Bill
>
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 3:25 AM, maik peterson
> <maikpeterson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> please dont forget to add some information about mpi/pgas coexistence today
>> and in the future.
>> without that more and more people will migrate away from mpi.
>>
>> maik
>>

>> 2012/9/7 William Gropp <wgropp at illinois.edu>
>>>
>>> One of us needs to provide this.  There are the slides that we've used for
>>> the forum itself, and abbreviated versions of these.  I'm working on the
>>> standard updates - is someone able to prepare these slides for Rich?
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> William Gropp
>>> Director, Parallel Computing Institute
>>> Deputy Director for Research
>>> Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
>>> Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
>>> University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
>>>

>>> Begin forwarded message:
>>>
>>> From: Richard Graham <richardg at mellanox.com>
>>> Subject: [Mpi-forum] MPI 3.0 overview
>>> Date: September 4, 2012 2:17:29 AM GMT+02:00
>>> To: "mpi-forum at lists.mpi-forum.org" <mpi-forum at lists.mpi-forum.org>
>>>
>>> In preparation for presentations on the MPI 3.0 standard, I would like to
>>> ask that the working groups send a few slides on the following new additions
>>> to the MPI standard:
>>>
>>> - Nonblocking collectives
>>> - RMA enhancements
>>> - MPI Tool Interface
>>> - New Fortran bindings
>>> - Sparse collectives
>>> - Enhanced Datatype support
>>> - Distributed Graph
>>> - Noncollective communicator creation
>>>
>>> Also, if your working group had items that did not make it into MPI-3.0,
>>> and would like these mentioned in the same talk, please provide me with some
>>> slides.  It is good to let folks know why some items did not make it into
>>> the standard.
>>>
>>> It would be very helpful if I could get these slides by Sept the 12th.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rich