[Mpi3-rma] [Mpi-comments] Freeing memory allocated in MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE_SHARED

Rajeev Thakur thakur at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 12 09:58:08 CDT 2012

> Page 415,  Line 5:
> Replace
> MPI_WIN_FREE will free the window memory that was allocated in MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE.
> by
> \mpifunc{MPI\_WIN\_FREE} might detach or free the window memory. The specific window creation and
> attach functions specify effects on the window memory by  \mpifunc{MPI\_WIN\_FREE}.

For the above change, the preceding sentence on lines 3-4 would also need to be deleted, namely, the sentence
"The memory associated with windows created by a call to MPI_WIN_CREATE may be freed after the call returns."

The suggested sentence to be added says that the window attach function also specifies the effects on window memory by Win_free, but there is nothing in MPI_Win_attach about what happens in free.

That is why I said the simple sentence suggested by Jim was best at this late stage. It's not because it is ok to enumerate the list, but it is easier than getting all the other changes right on short notice.

Rajeev