[Mpi3-rma] Fwd: [Mpi-comments] Freeing memory allocated in MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE_SHARED

Hubert Ritzdorf Hubert.Ritzdorf at EMEA.NEC.COM
Wed Sep 5 11:07:52 CDT 2012

This is fine for me.

Hubert
From: mpi3-rma-bounces at lists.mpi-forum.org [mpi3-rma-bounces at lists.mpi-forum.org] on behalf of William Gropp [wgropp at illinois.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 5:47 PM
To: MPI 3.0 Remote Memory Access working group
Subject: Re: [Mpi3-rma] Fwd: [Mpi-comments] Freeing memory allocated in MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE_SHARED

Torsten has pointed out that this approach has the fragile list problem, and I agree.  A better option might be:

Include this information on the affected window create routines (MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE and MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE_SHARED).

Add to MPI_WIN_FREE that any memory allocated by a window creating routine is freed, without listing the affected routines.

Comments?

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign