[Mpi3-rma] MPI_Win_allocate_shared and synchronization functions

Hubert Ritzdorf Hubert.Ritzdorf at EMEA.NEC.COM
Tue Sep 11 12:26:23 CDT 2012

Hi,

it's quite unclear what Page 410, Lines 17-19

A consistent view can be created in the uni?fied
memory model (see Section 11.4) by utilizing the window synchronization functions (see
Section 11.5)

really means. Section 11.5 doesn't mention any (load/store) access to shared memory.
Thus, must

(*) RMA communication calls and RMA operations
     be interpreted   as RMA communication calls (MPI_GET, MPI_PUT, ...) and
                                ANY load/store access to shared window
(*) put call             as put call and any store to shared memory
(*) get call             as get call and any load from shared memory
(*) accumulate call as accumulate call and any load or store access to shared window ?

Example: Assertion MPI_MODE_NOPRECEDE

Does

the fence does not complete any sequence of locally issued RMA calls

mean for windows created by MPI_Win_Allocate_shared ()

the fence does not complete any sequence of locally issued RMA calls or
any load/store access to the window memory ?

It's not clear to me. I will be probably not clear for the standard MPI user.
RMA operations are defined only MPI functions for window objects
(as far as I can see).
But possibly I'm totally wrong and the synchronization functions synchronize
only the RMA communication calls (MPI_GET, MPI_PUT, ...).

Hubert