[Mpi3-rma] Info accumulate_ops

Sur, Sayantan sayantan.sur at intel.com
Fri Oct 19 12:06:51 CDT 2012

I had raised this issue during the chapter review. It felt odd to me that the default was for some optimized behavior which can potentially lead to erroneous results in case the program doesn't obey this behavior.

MPI-3: "This can eliminate the need to protect access for certain operation types where the hardware can guarantee atomicity."

It appears MPI-2 had the same restriction on concurrent ops, just not through an info key though.

MPI-2.2, 11.7, Pg 365, line 29-34:

"A location in a window must not be accessed as a target of an RMA operation once
an update to that location has started, until the update becomes visible in the public
window copy. There is one exception to this rule, in the case where the same variable
is updated by two concurrent accumulates that use the same operation, with the same
predefined datatype, on the same window."

===
Sayantan Sur, Ph.D.
Intel Corp.