[Mpi3-rma] MPI_Fetch_and_op and MPI_Get_accumulate

Jim Dinan dinan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 28 13:07:26 CST 2012

Hi Hubert,

Yes, the combination of operations you describe is permitted.

Jeff's answer is correct -- Fetch_and_op allows only predefined
datatypes, so it has lower software overhead.

Another way to look at this is that the user should expect a stronger
performance "guarantee" from fetch_and_op.  If the combination of FOP
and GACC results in decreased performance for a particular network, the
MPI implementation could provide an info key or assertion to indicate
that FOP and GACC will not be combined.  If such a hint is broadly
useful, we could add it to the standard.

 ~Jim.