[Mpi3-rma] [EXTERNAL] Re: Disp_unit in allocate_shared should be returned by win_shared_query?

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Thu Jul 26 16:22:51 CDT 2012

> I guess we can add this advice nevertheless. I think this would also
> cover Rolf's comment.

Not really. The text is orthogonal to my request.

> > Advice to users. If disp_unit values differ across processes in a
> > shared memory window, the programmer may need to use the target's
> > disp_unit value in address calculations and use different load/store
> > operations depending on the target's disp_unit value. (End of advice
> > users.)

This is an advice especially for MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE_SHARED.
It does not fit to MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE and the use of MPI_PUT/GET
because in PUT/GET, the disp_unit works perfect.

My question was a general one at MPI_WIN_CREATE
to tell the users that the major intend is that all disp_unit values
(related to the processes of one window handle)
represent the extent of one common datatype.
And, if one is doing different, this may cause a
non-scaling memory overhead.

Rolf