[Mpi3-rma] MPI-3.1 RMA planning

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 26 11:18:54 CDT 2012

On 07/26/2012 08:52 AM, Pavan Balaji wrote:
>> I would like to add some info arguments to the list of things to
>> consider. I don't have the full list at this point, but we have the
>> "same_size" argument for create and allocate. However, we have no
>> "same_displ_unit", which goes by the same rationale. We could also add
>> some info arguments to dynamic windows to mitigate some of the
>> implementation issues (allow optimized implementations on RMA systems).
>
> Sounds good.

What does "same_size" mean for heterogeneous systems?

If I give 100 * sizeof(int) on both sides, that will not be the same
size on a heterogeneous system.  This might be worth a user advise.

A few other things that we noticed:

1. The standard currently states, "A put or accumulate must not access a
target window once a load/store update or a put ... ".  The term
"load/store update" doesn't make sense.  This has caused a major
confusion even to the RMA working group, for example on the slide that
we put together for compatibility between load, store, put, get,
accumulate, etc.  It should really say "load/store accesses" -- that is,
simultaneous loads and PUTs are not allowed in the SEPARATE model.

2. The disp_unit is a weird semantic which is really meant to
demonstrate what datatype I will be using.  We are jumping through hoops
to get the same_size and same_disp_unit measures which make little sense
on heterogeneous systems.  The correct way to do this would have been to
not take a disp_unit parameter at all, and instead take a MPI_Datatype
parameter.  In this case, two different processes can give MPI_INT but
have different type sizes.  That adds better safety checks in MPI.

Unfortunately, all our window creation routines are screwed up in this
manner.  We should consider adding MPI_Win_create_type,
MPI_Win_allocate_type, MPI_Win_allocate_shared_type in MPI-3.1 and
deprecating the older routines.  It would have been much better to do
this in 3.0, but it's not a small change.

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji