[Mpi3-rma] [EXTERNAL] Re: Disp_unit in allocate_shared should be returned by win_shared_query?

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Wed Jul 25 17:20:59 CDT 2012

I would like to see an additional advice to users that tell
that the usual way to use disp_unit as extent of the same
datatype on all processes of a window, i.e., to have the
identical value on all processes on homogeneous systems.

Without such ann advice, users tend to "misuse" such features.

One may add a rationale that non-identical values may need O(p)
memory to store the disp_uni information on each process,
i.e., on all processes together O(p**2) memory.

Such a hint can be added to the existing advice:

MPI-2.2 p337:1-5:

Advice to users. Common choices for disp_unit are 1 (no scaling),
and (in C syntax) sizeof(type), for a window that consists
of an array of elements of type type. The later choice will allow
one to use array indices in RMA calls, and have those scaled
correctly to byte displacements, even in a heterogeneous
environment. (End of advice to users.)

I asked earlier for such an advice, but it was lost in the discussion
of the final meaning of the interface.

If the RMA roup can formulate such an advice, still enough general,
I expect this would be helpful.
This is of course true for all routines using disp_unit.

Rolf