[Mpi3-rma] Draft Plenary Presentation for MPI RMA

Torsten Hoefler htor at illinois.edu
Fri Feb 4 13:14:20 CST 2011

Hi Jim,

We addressed the issues below, see inline comments!

> These look good.  Here's some feedback:
>
> Slide 4: RAW (Read after Write), WAR, WAW are commonly used terms for
> this, should we use those?
The group has a veto-time until tomorrow. It'll be updated if nobody
complains.

> Slide 21: UPC allows one-sided allocation of distributed shared data
> through the one-sided call "shared void *upc_global_alloc(size_t
> nblocks, size_t nbytes)".  I think Dan was pointing out that this is
> impossible in MPI-2.  (Still don't think we can support this in MPI-3.)
Added a comment, not sure if there is a real application use-case (I can
imagine some though).

> Slide 22: UPC doesn't allow sharing data on the stack, only heap data
> can be shared.  In general, this is kind of an iffy thing, might
> encounter some resistance to suggest doing this.  Linux is going to
> initially map the stack to the zero page which is marked copy-on-write,
> so beyond the parts you have used, the stack doesn't exist.
Also as a sub-bullet.

> Slide 27: ARMCI has per-operation non-blocking calls.  Blocking calls
> and waits give you local completion and only fence gives you remote
> completion.
Yes, ARMCI has per operation remote completion which we don't support at
this point. Proposal 2 had this a while ago but we didn't find a strong
use-case (as opposed to the per-operation local completion). Added a
comment.

> Slide 30: Conflicting relaxed operations issued by a single source will
> appear in program order when observed by that source.  IIRC, a third
> party need not observe this same order.  I think that the result of
> conflicting relaxed operations issued from different sources is
> undefined.
Added a clarifying comment.

Please check the new version!

Thanks & Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Hoefler         | Performance Modeling and Simulation Lead