[Mpi3-rma] Next RMA Telecon

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 26 20:40:41 CST 2011

On 12/26/2011 12:12 PM, Torsten Hoefler wrote:

>>> - remove MPI_Win_lock_all(exclusive) from the proposal and re-read
>>
>> Why was this removed?
> Brian and others felt that an implementation on a distributed-memory
> network would put a huge burden on the implementers and may cause other
> problems. A workaround offering essentially the same functionality by
> using point-to-point and collective synchronization (i.e., block p-1
> processes in a barrier while one process updates the shared memory) was
> identified.

Didn't we already discuss this in one of the working groups (though I
forget whether it was RMA or hybrid)?  If I recall correctly, a non-RMA
solution was shot down because it doesn't provide the memory barriers
that a lock/unlock would do.

Someone also pointed out that we could do a for loop of
Win_lock(exclusive) to achieve the same result, but it was not scalable.

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji