[Mpi3-rma] Updated Proposal 1

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 29 21:18:35 CST 2010

On 11/29/2010 10:06 AM, Barrett, Brian W wrote:
> I think we could do multi-element with the very loose element-wise
> guarantee. At one point, there was discussion about strengthening
> that guarantee, which would make the multi-element Get_accumulate
> painful.

The complain that was raised against multi-element Get_accumulate was
that of reliability. If the network adapter does not have any buffering
capability, the target buffer cannot be modified till the original data
has been delivered to the origin.

FWIW, the only requirement I had raised for multi-element Get_accumulate
was for the NO_OP operation, where this is not an issue (in other words,
element-wise atomic GET operation).

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji