[Mpi3-rma] MPI3 RMA proposals in general

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 26 12:49:10 CDT 2010

On 05/26/2010 12:45 PM, Douglas Miller wrote:
> But, what about having some restrictions on what synchronization that a
> window will use. I would envision either different window types altogether
> (e.g. MPI_Win_create_lock, MPI_Win_create_pscw, ...) or at least some sort
> of assert parameter (which must be specified) to establish at cerate time
> how a window will be synchronized. At the very least then, internally I
> could add a function table to the window object that selected optimized
> routines based on the window usage.

Doug: MPI-2 has a restriction that two synchronization primitives cannot
be used simultaneously. So, that's a requirement from the application
side -- the MPI implementation should not have to maintain much state to
ensure this. So, I'm confused about how this would make the MPI
implementation better/faster. Can you clarify?

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji