[Mpi3-rma] RMA proposal 1 update

Michael Blocksome blocksom at us.ibm.com
Mon May 24 13:24:40 CDT 2010

I am one of the DCMF developers that wrote the low-level implementation
for the various one-sided operations on BG/P and I've also done some work
with implementing ARMCI over DCMF on BG/P.  I have some general comments,
but can't really find an appropriate email to 'reply to' .. so I'll just
dive in here.

I think the discussion of the three possible implementations below misses
the mark a bit.  Any low level messaging layer (DCMF, LAPI, even "MPI")
that can optimize the allreduce and barrier operations could implement the
allfenceall operation as described below.  Even though DCMF - which what
MPICH2 on BG/P is based on - uses the BG/P collective network, it still is
*only* a fast allreduce that has benefits over other pt2pt allreduce
algorithms and not very interesting when considering how an allfenceall
would be implemented.

If we look at any exascale goal(s), as Jeff mentioned earlier, we'll see
that any time an application or middleware needs to track counters we
won't get the scaling required (assuming the allfenceall is flexible and
not restricted to only "comm_world" operations). What is needed is an
interface that allows low level software to take advantage of any hardware
or network features that would enable a "counter-less" allfenceall
implementation. On BG/P, this would probably take advantage of features
such as the torus dimensions of the network, the (configurable)
deterministic packet routing, the "deposit bit" in the packet header, etc.
I'm not saying I have any specific design in mind, just that experience
tells me that we should be able to do something cool in this space
supported by the BG hardware which would eliminate the need for software
accounting.

If there was an allfenceall interface, then low level message could do
whatever it takes to get performance and scaling.  Without the allfenceall
interface middleware is forced to use one of these platform independent
algorithms (allreduce, barrier, etc) and accept any inherent scaling and
performance restrictions.

Michael Blocksome
Blue Gene Messaging
Advanced Systems Software Development
blocksom at us.ibm.com

From:
Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com>
To:
"MPI 3.0 Remote Memory Access working group"
<mpi3-rma at lists.mpi-forum.org>