[Mpi3-rma] RMA proposal 1 update

Underwood, Keith D keith.d.underwood at intel.com
Fri May 21 11:22:00 CDT 2010

There is a proposal on the table to add flush(rank) and flushall() as local calls for passive target to allow incremental remote completion without calling unlock().  There is an additional proposal to also include allflushall(), which would be a collective remote completion semantic added to passive target (nominally, we might not want to call it passive target anymore if we did that, but that is a different discussion).  The question I had posed was:  can you really get a measurable performance advantage in realistic usage scenarios by having allflushall() instead of just doing flushall() + barrier()?  I was asking if someone could provide an implementation sketch - preferably along with a real usage scenario where that implementation sketch would yield a performance advantage.  A back-of-the-envelope assessment of that would be a really nice to have.

My contention was that the number of targets with outstanding requests from a given between one flush/flushall and the next one would frequently not be large enough to justify the cost of a collective.  Alternatively, if messages in that window are "large" (for some definition of "large" that is likely less than 4KB and is certainly no larger than the rendezvous threshold), I would contend that generating a software ack for each one would be essentially zero overhead and would allow source side tracking of remote completion such that a flushall could be a local operation.

There is a completely separate discussion that needs to occur on whether it is better to add collective completion to passive target or one-sided completion to active target (both of which are likely to meet some resistance because of the impurity the introduce into the model/naming) or whether the two need to be mixed at all.

Keith