[Mpi3-rma] Use cases for RMA

Manojkumar Krishnan manoj at pnl.gov
Wed Mar 3 13:23:58 CST 2010

Bill,

Here are some of the MPI RMA requirements for Global Arrays (GA) and
ARMCI. ARMCI is GA's runtime system.  GA/ARMCI exploits native
network communication interfaces and system resources (such as shared
memory) to achieve the best possible performance of the remote memory
access/one-sided communication. GA/ARMCI relies *heavily* on optimized
contiguous and non-contiguous RMA operations (get/put/acc).

For GA/ARMCI and its applications, below are some specfic examples of
operations that are hard to achieve in MPI-2 RMA.

1. Memory Allocation: (This might be an implementation issue) The user or
library implementors should be able to allocate memory (e.g. shared
memory), and register with MPI. This is useful in case of Global
Arrays/ARMCI, which use RMA across nodes and shared memory within nodes.
ARMCI allocates shared memory segment, and pins/registers with the network.

2. Locks: Should be made optional to keep the RMA programming model
simple. If the user doesnot require concurrency, then locks are
unnecessary. Enforcing to use locks as default might introduce
unnecessary bugs if not carefully programmed (esp. at the level of of
extreme scale systems, it is hard to debug).

3. Support for non-overlapping concurrent operations in a window.

4. RMW Operation - Useful for implementing dynamic load balancing
algorithms (e.g. task queues/work stealing, group/global counters, etc).

The above are feature requirements rather than performance issues, which
are implementation specific.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to explain the above in detail.

Thanks,
-Manoj.
Manojkumar Krishnan
High Performance Computing Group
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Ph: (509) 372-4206   Fax: (509) 372-4720
http://hpc.pnl.gov/people/manoj