[Mpi3-rma] RMA synchronization optimization [was: Updated MPI-3 RMA proposal 1]

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 23 08:57:25 CDT 2010

Hi Doug,

On 06/23/2010 08:01 AM, Douglas Miller wrote:
> Right, the amount of code to maintain does increase, especially in the case
> that nothing is deprecated. My concern is for the performance of "common
> use" cases, which I think are where only one synchronization mode is used
> (is this not true? are there any "real" codes using this?).

 From your description it is (somewhat) clear that the code complexity
does increase, but to me it's not clear that it becomes more
inefficient. Why does the possibility that an RMA operation might happen
sometime later make it more inefficient?

They way the MPI standard is structured is that RMA operations can
happen anytime between Win_create/alloc and Win_free, which seems like
an "epoch" in terms of your expectation.

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji