[Mpi3-rma] mpi3-rma post from bradc at cray.com requires approval

Underwood, Keith D keith.d.underwood at intel.com
Sat Jun 5 20:17:05 CDT 2010

I tend to agree that (2) is what is critical, but both (1) & (2) may be important.  The problem with not having (1) is that it gets significantly more expensive to figure out when a message has been delivered.  <shrug> that may be ok, but may be a pain.  Arguably, if not having (1) were important to a network, you could teach the users to do finer grained accesses such that each access was unordered relative to the others.

Anyway, the one important point here is that it is MUCH harder to get any of these back at the application level than it is to provide them at the hardware level.  If the API doesn't expose a given type of ordering, you can't make an application "do the right thing" and count on good hardware giving you that ordering - even if it is easy for the hardware.

I'll give a specific example:  research on low-diameter networks has indicated that you get relatively little actual reordering at the end-points when you adaptively route through a low diameter network.  Given that, the end-point could adaptively route and still give you ordering at the API level; however, because not all hardware will do that, an application would have to be written as if it had to restore ordering when it needed it.  This would suck beyond words...

Keith