[Mpi3-rma] MPI 3 RMA Examples needed

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 15:05:49 CST 2010

Sorry for the delay.  Maybe it is still Friday somewhere.

Many quantum chemistry algorithms use shared-memory semantics where
arrays are either (1) get/read-only or (2) acc/rmw-only.  I don't see
many calls to put.  Many collectives could be non-blocking, but I
don't know if the performance impact would be significant.

In the Fock build procedure of distributed-data SCF/DFT, the code
looks approximately like this [Comp. Phys. Comm. 143 (2002) 69–82]:
matrices D and F distributed over processors (partial replication
would be good but we can ignore this)
R > ~2000 // if not, then use replicated-data (local D, F) algorithm instead
N > ~400 // proportional to R
D(r,r) is read-only
F(r,r) is rmw-only

while not converged do
{
zero F
forall i in range(1:R) by chunks // chunks can be 1-14 for atomic
shells or 20-100 for whole atoms at a time
forall j in range(1:R) by chunks
// can dynamic load balance here OR
forall k in range(1:R) by chunks
forall l in range(1:R) by chunks
// can dynamic load balance here
  get D(i,j), D(i,k), D(i,l), D(j,k), D(j,l), D(k,l) from global D
  compute V(i,j,k,l) locally
  compute F(i,j), F(i,k), F(i,l), F(j,k), F(j,l), F(k,l) from D chunks and V
  accumulate local F(i,j), F(i,k), F(i,l), F(j,k), F(j,l), F(k,l) to global F
end forall
end forall
end forall
end forall
fence
// do some dense linear algebra - using Matlab notation
[E,U] = eig(F)
D = U(1:N,1:N)*transpose(U(1:N,1:N))
fence
}
end

It is not impossible to implement this code with one-sided.  MPQC uses
only MPI two-sided calls and the SCF scales as well as NWChem on
BlueGene/P, but (1) that is not an apples-to-apples comparison because
of many factors, like the routines to compute V (2) BGP is biased in
favor of an MPI+Pthreads programming model - , which is what MPQC uses
- relative to GA/ARMCI running a process per core.

With the amount of memory per node on most machines now, the
replicated-to-distributed cutoff moves steadily upwards, especially if
one uses shmem on the node.  Hence, if it were scalable, using
collectives would be fine.  However, dynamic-load-balancing (DLB) is a
huge issue to do the varying granularity of work associated with the
calculation of V.

In summary, I am not certain that changes to the existing RMA
semantics are necessary to implement the aforementioned algorithm
efficiently in MPI-2 except for the need to have RMW to implement DLB.

A second class of quantum chemistry methods is far more memory
intensive but a more favorable task-size distribution.  The formation
of a coupled-cluster intermediate or residual looks approximately like
one of the following:

N > 200
R > 1000
J = 4D array of size O(N^4) which is antisymmetic in index pairs over N and R
T = 4D array of size O(N^2 * R^2) which is antisymmetic in index pairs
over N and R
V = 4D array of size O(N^2 * R^2) which is antisymmetic in index pairs
over N and R

// trying to compute J(i,j,k,l) += sum(a,b) T(a,b,k,l) * V(i,j,a,b)

forall i in range(1:R) by chunks of ~20
forall j in range(1:R) by chunks of ~20
if i<j
forall k in range(1:R) by chunks of ~20
forall l in range(1:R) by chunks of ~20
if k<l
forall a in range(1:R) by chunks of ~50
forall b in range(1:R) by chunks of ~50
if a<b
  call dynamic_load_balance
  get T(a,b,k,l) // this is a 20x20x50x50 patch
  get V(i,j,a,b) // this is a 20x20x50x50 patch
  dgemm T(a,b,k,l) and V(i,j,a,b) to form J(i,j,k,l)
  accumulate J(i,j,k,l) to global J // this is a 20x20x20x20 patch
end forall
end forall
end forall
end forall
end forall
end forall

N > 200
R > 1000
J = 2D array of size O(N * R)
T = 4D array of size O(N^2 * R^2) which is antisymmetic in index pairs
over N and R
V = same as T

// trying to compute J(j,a) += sum(b,i) T(b,i) * V(i,j,a,b)

broadcast T
forall j in range(1:R) by chunks of ~20
forall i in range(1:R) by chunks of ~20
if i<j
forall a in range(1:R) by chunks of ~50
forall b in range(1:R) by chunks of ~50
if a<b
  call dynamic_load_balance
  get V(i,j,a,b) // this is a 20x20x50x50 patch
  do J(j,a) += sum(b,i) T(b,i) * V(i,j,a,b) for local patches
end forall
end forall
end forall
end forall
end forall
end forall
accumulate-reduce J
broadcast J // this might be over a different communication than the reduction

N > 200
R > 1000
J = 2D array of size O(N^2)
T = 4D array of size O(N^2 * R^2) which is antisymmetic in index pairs
over N and R
V = 4D array of size O(N^2 * R^2) which is antisymmetic in index pairs
over N and R

// trying to compute J(j,k) += sum(a,b,i) T(a,b,k,i) * V(i,j,a,b)

forall j in range(1:R) by chunks of ~20
forall k in range(1:R) by chunks of ~20
forall a in range(1:R) by chunks of ~50
forall b in range(1:R) by chunks of ~50
if a<b
forall i in range(1:R) by chunks of ~20
if k<i and i<j
  call dynamic_load_balance
  get T(a,b,k,i) // this is a 20x20x50x50 patch
  get V(i,j,a,b) // this is a 20x20x50x50 patch
  do J(j,k) += sum(a,b,i) T(a,b,k,i) * V(i,j,a,b) for local patches
end forall
end forall
end forall
end forall
end forall
end forall
accumulate-reduce J
broadcast J // this might be over a different communication than the reduction

I can say with certainty that passive progress is critical to the
performance of the above three procedures.  The local work inevitably
varies and all the processes will be out-of-sync almost immediately,
but since the local work can take up to a minute in the worst case, if
an incoming remote get or acc is blocked until that call finishes, the
overhead is huge.  On BGP, lack of passive progress decreased the
performance by 40-50% over the entire job.

I'm brushing much of the complexity of quantum many-body theory under
the rug, but if you look at the NWChem source, the above pseudo-code
is fairly well represented there.  Of course, there could be better
algorithms, but coding them up with the all index permutation symmetry
is a pain, hence the TCE project.

Best,

Jeff