[Mpi3-rma] FW: MPI 3 RMA Examples needed

Torsten Hoefler htor at cs.indiana.edu
Mon Feb 1 19:52:56 CST 2010

Jeff,

> While we can debate the sanity of globally-scoped data at exascale,
> there will always be science which is not amenable to simple domain
> decomposition and thus requires some type of global view.  Whether the
> data structures are simple ala GA or complex ala Madness, RMI is the
> only sensible ways to implement these involve RMI.

just as a side-note: what you call RMI is what I'd call Active Message
and I fully agree that this is one key technology to reach good
scalability for a class of applications (I was mostly thinking of
irregular applications but your point is an excellent addition).
However, if your problem is static (enough), you could establish
channels upfront (e.g., sparse matrix vector in Krylov subspace
methods).

Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Hoefler         | Research Associate